Raleigh Criminal Defense Law Firm
Apex Criminal Defense Attorney


Criminal Law Blog


Apex Criminal Law Blog

Law Offices Of Wiley Nickel, PLLC

What is the 90-96 Program?

If this is the first time ever being charged with a crime and you have been charged with an alcohol or drug offense, you might be eligible for the first time offender program called 90-96.


Under North Carolina General Statutes Section 90-96, courts are allowed to defer prosecution of alcohol and drug offenses for first time offenders. Essentially, first time offenders are given the opportunity to earn a dismissal through completion of this program.


The 90-96 program is a great option for first time offenders and sometimes even if you are charged with an alcohol or drug offense for a second time. The 90-96 programs requires that you attend alcohol and/or drug classes, pay the required fees and abide by the conditions of the program in order to have your case dismissed. Although as part of the 90-96 program you are required to sign an admission of guilt, this admission is irrelevant so long as you comply with the programs requirements within the year.


Once you have completed the 90-96 program and your case has been dismissed, your case will be eligible for expungement to clear your criminal record of the charge.


If you were charged with an alcohol or drug offense and would like to learn more about this program, or you have completed the program and would like help getting your criminal record expunged, call the attorneys at The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, PLLC at 919-585-1486. 

Wiley Nickel
What Happens When I'm Charged With Using A Fake I.D.?

As spring break and summer break quickly approach for college and high school students, many students will find themselves in trouble for using fake identification in their free time.


While an underage person’s use of fake identification may not seem so serious at the time, a conviction under North Carolina laws can result in revocation of your drivers license. 


In North Carolina, N.C. Gen. Stat. 18B-302(e) makes it is a Class 1 misdemeanor to use fraudulent identification to:

1)    Enter or attempt to enter a place where alcoholic beverages are sold or consumed; or

2)    Obtain or attempt to obtain alcoholic beverages; or

3)    Obtain or attempt to obtain permission to purchase alcoholic beverages


If you are convicted under N.C. Gen. Stat 18B-302(e), your drivers license must be revoked for a one-year period.


Under N.C. Gen. Stat. 20-23(3), displaying or representing as your own, a drivers licenses not issued to the person displaying it is a Class 2 misdemeanor. Upon a conviction under this statute, you may lose your drivers license for up to one year.


If you are charged with having a fake I.D. contact The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, PLLC for a free consultation with one of our criminal defense attorneys at 919-585-1486.

Wiley Nickel
Ignition Interlock - What is it?

Ignition Interlock Devices  are small breath analyzers that check a driver’s breath for alcohol before letting the car’s engine start and during various intervals while driving.


After a DWI conviction, NC DMV places certain alcohol concentration restrictions on drivers. In addition, NC DMV also requires ignition interlock for drivers whose licenses are restored following a conviction for DWI if:

·      You had an alcohol concentration of 0.15 or higher; or

·      You were convicted of a second offense of DWI, which happened within seven years of the offense for which your license was revoked; or

·      You were sentenced to an Aggravated Level One DWI


Ignition interlock devices restrictions can be troublesome for drivers. Such a restriction requires:

·      You may only operate a vehicle that is equipped with ignition interlock

·      You must personally activate the ignition interlock system before driving the motor vehicle

·      You must contain an alcohol concentration restriction of either .04 or .00


How long you are required to have an ignition interlock device in your vehicle depends on how long your original revocation for DWI was. For example, if you were revoked for one year, then you must have ignition interlock for one year from the date of restoration of your license.


If you are required to have the device installed, you must pay all fees associated with its installation, maintenance and service, which are considered a condition of having your drivers license. Fees associated with ignition interlock are generally only a couple dollars a day, but that can add up quick and cost you around $1,000.00 a year. This cost is in addition to any fines or penalties you are already required to pay as a result of your conviction.


Violating an ignition interlock restriction means that you can be charged with Driving While License Revoked for Impaired Revocation, which is a Class 1 Misdemeanor. A charge of DWLR based on an ignition interlock violation results in your license being suspended pending the resolution of the case.


If you have received a DWI and may be at risk for having an ignition interlock, call 919-585-1486 to make an appointment to speak with one of our attorneys, or stop by the office during regular business hours. You can also reach us directly via e-mail at wiley@wileynickel.com or Kristi@wileynickel.com to schedule an appointment whenever works best for you.

Wiley Nickel
What is Domestic Violence in North Carolina?

Under North Carolina law, domestic violence convictions result in harsher collateral consequences than some other misdemeanor convictions. Domestic violence is one of several acts against a person who has one of the following relationships with the accused, such as:

·      Spouse

·      Ex-spouse

·      Person of the opposite sex who lives or has lived with the accused

·      Child or grandchild

·      Person with which the accused has a child

·      Current or former household member

·      Person of the opposite sex with whom the accused is in a dating relationship, like a girlfriend or boyfriend

·      Person of the opposite sex with whom the accused used to have a dating relationship


It’s common to see crimes such as Assault on a Female or Simple Assault in the Domestic Violence courtroom, but other charges may be considered crimes of domestic violence if the alleged victim and the accused have a personal relationship.


If you have been charged with a domestic violence crime in Wake County, The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel is here to help. If you have questions regarding your charge, and how to proceed, call our office at 919-585-1486 today! 

Wiley Nickel
When Should I Stop For A Stopped School Bus in NC?


In July 2017, Roy Cooper signed the “School Bus Cameras and Civil Penalties” bill into law allowing individual counties to adopt ordinances and cite motorists by using cameras installed on the stop-arms of buses. The new law authorizes counties to adopt ordinances with civil penalties of $400 for the first offense, $750 for the second offense and $1,000 for a subsequent offense.


Passing or failing to stop for a stopped school bus is a Class 1 misdemeanor in North Carolina that can result in significant fines and the possibility of up to 120 days in jail. A person is guilty of this offense by:

(a)   Driving

(b)   A vehicle

(c)   Approaches from, any direction, on the same street, highway or public vehicular area

(d)  A school bus

(e)   That is displaying its mechanical stop signal or flashing red lights AND is stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging passengers

(f)   Passes or attempts to pass the school bus OR fails to bring the vehicle to a full stop and remain stopped

(g)   Before the bus’s mechanical stop signal has been withdrawn, the flashing red stoplights have been turned off and the bus has started to move


In order to avoid such a charge, you should know the rules about when you should stop for a school bus:

·      Two-lane roadway: all traffic from both directions must stop

·      Two-lane roadway with a center turning lane: all traffic from both directions must stop

·      Four-lane roadway without a median separation: all traffic from both directions must stop

·      Divided Highway of four lanes or more with a median separation: only traffic following the school bus must stop

·      Roadway of four lanes or more with a center turning lane: only traffic following the bus must stop


If you’ve been charged with Passing or Failing to Stop for a Stopped School Bus, give The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, PLLC a call to discuss the facts of your case at 919-585-1486. Attorney Kristi Haddock and Attorney Wiley Nickel are available for a free consultation.

Wiley Nickel
Raise the Age in North Carolina

In 2017, North Carolina relinquished its title as the only state in the U.S. that automatically prosecuted juveniles 16 and older as adults. As a result of the North Carolina General Assembly’s Juvenile Justice Reinvestment Act, most 16 and 17 year olds will now be prosecuted in juvenile court instead of the adult court system.


Beginning December 1, 2019, a “delinquent juvenile,” as defined in N.C. Gen. Stat. 7B-1501(7), will include 16 and 17 year olds who commit crimes or infractions, except for motor vehicle laws, or indirect contempt by a juvenile. However, under the new law, once a juvenile has been convicted of any offense in either district or superior court, including violations of motor vehicle laws, the juvenile must be prosecuted as an adult for all subsequent offenses. This means that if a teenager already has an adult conviction when the new law becomes effective, the law will not benefit them.


The new law provides that all offenses committed by 16 and 17 year olds will originate in juvenile court. This means that 16 and 17 year olds accused of misdemeanors and low-level felonies such as larcenies, break-ins and other non-violent crimes, will now have a chance to for their cases to be handled in juvenile court. Since studies have shown that children in the juvenile system are less likely to return to jail, North Carolina is finally taking a step towards reducing its growing prison populations.


What has not changed is that violent teenagers can still be moved into the adult system. Class A-G felonies that are committed by 16 and 17 year olds require mandatory transfers to superior court by a notice of an indictment or a finding of probable cause by the court. However, this new provision will provide prosecutors with the ability to maintain some discretion by reducing charges before the time for filing or a probable cause hearing.


If you are charged with a misdemeanor offense and are 16 or 17 years old contact The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, PLLCfor a free consultation.  Until the “Raise the Age” Bill becomes effective we can handle cases for 16 and 17 years olds in adult criminal court. 

Wiley Nickel
Standardized Field Sobriety Tests: What Are Police Looking For?

If you have ever seen a movie or television show depicting drunk drivers, you may have seen police officers asking drivers to say the alphabet backwards, count fingers or touch their noses in order to help determine whether the driver is intoxicated. In reality, law enforcement officers will very rarely use those often-depicted tests because more reliable tests exist.


The three most common Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFST) that a police officer will likely ask you to perform if he or she suspects you of driving while impaired are: One Leg Stand, Walk and Turn, and Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus.


One Leg Stand

Officers will likely ask you to stand with one leg out in front of you – parallel to the ground—approximately six inches off the ground for nearly thirty seconds. While officers are giving you instructions for the test, you will be instructed to stand with your feet together, keep your arms at your side and listen to performance instructions.


During the performance part of the test, officers are looking to see if you exhibit any of the following four clues:

·      Swaying

·      Using your arms for balance

·      Hopping

·      Dropping your foot


Walk and Turn

Officers will also likely ask you to take nine heel-to-toe steps in a straight line, turn 180 degrees on one foot and repeat the steps in the opposite direction following either an actual or imaginary line. During this exercise, officers want you to watch your feet, count out loud and keep your hands at your side.


During the performance part of this test, officers are looking to see if you exhibit any of the following eight clues:

·      Starting the test too soon

·      Using hands for balance during the test

·      Not maintaining balance during instructions

·      Stepping off the line

·      Missing heel-to-toe by more than ½ inch

·      Incorrect turn

·      Wrong number of steps

·      Stopping the test early


Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus

Nystagmus is the involuntary jerking of the eyes that can be caused for a number of reasons, including alcohol impairment. Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN) is an involuntary jerking of the eye that occurs naturally as the eyes are rotated at high peripheral angles. Alcohol and certain other drugs can cause exaggerated HGN and trigger HGN at an angle of less than 45 degrees. Before the test an officer will check the subject for equal pupil size, resting nystagmus and equal tracking to rule out any medical condition that may render the test ineffective. An officer will then ask you to follow a stimulus that he or she will move from left to right and right to left while watching for certain clues. A common misconception is that officers look for you to follow the stimulus without head movement. Although officers will note that, it is not a clue they are specifically looking for.


While performing the test an officer will be looking for the following clues in each eye:

·      Lack of smooth pursuit (i.e. – jerking while following an object)

·      Nystagmus at maximum deviation

·      Nystagmus prior to 45 degrees


Each of these tests has defenses that you may want to explore with your DWI/DUI attorney. The attorneys at The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel have experience challenging the results of these tests, along with all other aspects of your DWI/DUI case. Contact our office at 919-585-1486 to speak with one of our experienced attorneys today about your options.

Wiley Nickel
Marijuana Possession: Small Quantities, Big Consequences

While some states have legalized the recreational use of marijuana, North Carolina has not. In North Carolina, possession of less than a half-ounce of marijuana, is a Class 3 misdemeanor. Although you may only have a $200.00 fine and no jail time, there may still be long-term consequences. However, the more marijuana you possess, the higher chance of jail time and the more severe the long-term effects can be. Possession of up to 1.5 ounces is a Class 1 misdemeanor with the potential to serve up to 45 days in jail and if you have more than 1.5 ounces, you may be charged with a felony and face up to 12 months of jail time.


While the short-term consequences of misdemeanor drug possession may not seem so harsh, there are long-term effects on employment, housing, and finances. Drug possession charges will show up on background checks when applying for job. Employers want to hire people they can trust so misdemeanor drug charges can severely hamper your chances at receiving a job. In fact, some vocations (such as law enforcement, the military or teachers) may not consider you a candidate if you have a history of drug charges. Drug charges may even make a landlord weary to rent a home or apartment to you. Most significantly, your financial aid may be suspended if your drug conviction happened while you are receiving aid or you may be completely disqualified from financial aid if you received certain types of drug charge.


If this marijuana possession charge is your first offense, the experienced attorneys at the Law Offices of Wiley Nickel may be able to help. You may be eligible for the 90-96 program, which allows you to have the charge dismissed after completing court mandated classes and community service. Once you complete the program and have the charge dismissed, our office may be able to assist you in getting the charges expunged. 


Whether this is your first offense or not, contact Attorney Wiley Nickel or Attorney Kristi Haddock to discuss your options in Wake County at wiley@wileynickel.com or Kristi@wileynickel.com.

Wiley Nickel
Driving After Consuming Under 21
Wiley Nickel DWI

You may have heard of Driving While Impaired (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI), but what exactly is Driving After Consuming (DAC)? In North Carolina, Driving After Consuming is a serious offense, completely separate from the commonly known DWI. In fact, if you are under 21 years old, depending on the specific facts of the case, you may even be charged with driving while consuming and driving while impaired.


Under N.C.G.S. § 20-138.3, it is against the law for anyone under the age of 21 to drive a motor vehicle on a public street, highway or vehicular area after consuming any amount of alcohol or controlled substance in North Carolina. Since driving while consuming applies to minors under 21 years of age, special rules apply. For example, the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) standard of .08 is irrelevant. A minor that has a BAC of even .01 could face a Driving After Consuming charge. A minor with a BAC of .08 or higher may also be charged with a DWI if the officer finds other signs of impairment.


A conviction for underage Driving After Consuming can lead to punishments similar to a DWI conviction such as substantial fines, probation and/or jail time. As a minor, not only can a conviction affect your ability to have a drivers license, but also your education, career and future. Driving After Consuming under the age of 21 is a Class 2 misdemeanor that can result in up to 60 days in jail and your drivers license revoked for up to one year. A driving while consuming charge may also lead to long-term consequences on automobile insurance rates.


In Wake County, some judges may offer an opportunity to “earn” a Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC) following a Driving After Consuming after completing community service and/or substance abuse treatment. Once a PJC is granted, there will be no fine, probation or jail time and no license suspension. In order to gain the most favorable result possible in your case, its imperative that you have an experience attorney on your side.


If you have any questions about driving while consuming, or you or your child has recently been charged with this offense, contact the Law Offices of Wiley Nickel. The attorneys at The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel have experience representing clients with DAC and DWI charges and will work diligently to get the best possible outcome for you. You may contact the offices at 919-585-1486 or email the attorneys directly at Kristi@wileynickel.com or Wiley@wileynickel.com.

Wiley Nickel
Shoplifting and the Holidays
shutterstock guy in cuffs.jpg

With the holidays coming up, there are bound to be people who engage in shoplifting. Most stores now have some kind of security system, which includes cameras, and Loss Prevention Officers that will monitor the stores. 

Shoplifting is a charge that requires the State to prove that you willfully concealed the goods or merchandise of a store without permission, and without purchasing the good or merchandise while still on the premises of the store. 

Larceny is a similar charge that you may be charged with if you take property from a store. The state has to prove that you took personal property in the possession of another and carried it away without that person's permission with the intent to permanently keep the possession even though you knew you were not entitled to it. For purposes of a larceny charge, a store will be treated like a person. 

If you have questions about shoplifting/larceny, or have recently been charged with one of these offenses, contact the Law Offices of Wiley Nickel at 919-373-2288. The attorneys may be able to enroll you in a first time offender program to earn a dismissal if you have never committed an offense before. There are ways to fight these charges, and attorneys like Kristi Haddock and Wiley Nickel can fight for the best possible outcome for your case. 

Wiley Nickel
Craft Beers and DWIs
Shutterstock poice behind DUI.jpg

Craft beers have become increasingly popular, and have spread all throughout the triangle. While these breweries have helped to establish a new aspect of local culture, craft beers are often brewed with higher ABV (alcohol by volume). Many craft beers range from 5-10% ABV, but some craft beers can have ABV well over 10-20%. 

To understand how strong this alcoholic beverage is, compare that to a Budweiser Select, which has 2.5% ABV. This means that one craft beer can have the same amount of alcohol as 3 or 4 cans of a regular beer. While these craft beers can be enjoyable, and you are certainly allowed to drink if you are of age, there is a distinct risk that you can be pulled over for a DWI if you have had only one craft beer and decide to drive. 

If you have any questions about DWIs or have received a citation for DWI, call the Law Offices of Wiley Nickel at 919-373-2288. You may also email the attorneys directly by emailing Kristi Haddock and Wiley Nickel at Kristi@wileynickel.com and wiley@wileynickel.com, respectively.

Wiley Nickel
How Do I Pick A Lawyer?

Picking a lawyer to represent your interests is an incredibly important decision. A lawyer who is inattentive, or overwhelmed by other matters will not be able to represent you or your interests in a way that best helps you. On the other hand, a lawyer that is organized, knows what you want, and does everything they can to help you get to your goal is an invaluable resource.

One thing you should do before picking a lawyer is to do some research. Nearly all firms and solo practitioners have some kind of presence online, either through a website or some other method. You will be able to see what areas that lawyer practices in, and you may also learn about awards or distinctions that the firm or individual lawyer has earned. You will also be able to see if that lawyer will charge you for an initial consultation, and many firms waive an initial fee.

If you are in need of an attorney in the Raleigh and Cary area, consider the Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, PLLC. The attorneys working at this firm are diligent, and will do their best to help represent your interests, in whatever capacity they can. There is no initial fee for a consultation, and you may call to schedule an appointment by calling 919-373-2288. You may also email the attorneys directly, by contacting Kristi Haddock at krist@wileynickel.com or Wiley Nickel at wiley@wileynickel.com.

Wiley Nickel
What is a Statute of Limitations?

This is a term that gets used quite often in the legal field, and it is a unique and vital component of filing a lawsuit. A Statute of Limitations is designed so that potential plaintiffs, or the State in criminal actions, must file their case within a reasonable amount of time. If the plaintiff does not file a suit within that period of time, they can no longer bring a suit. The Statute of Limitations for a particular charge or offense is defined by statute, made by the North Carolina General Assembly. 

For example, for a crime of larceny, a hit-and-run or another misdemeanor, the Statute of Limitations is two years to properly bring charges. This does not mean that the trial itself would need to occur within the two years, only that the charge must be filed within that time. More serious charges, lie homicide or rape, have no statute of limitations. 

If you have a question regarding the Statute of Limitations for a particular charge, or need to discuss you case with an attorney, contact the Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, PLLC at 919-373-2288. You may also email the attorneys at Wiley Nickel directly, by contacting Kristi Haddock at Kristi@wileynickel.com or Wiley Nickel at wiley@wileynickel.com. 

Wiley Nickel
What is Interlock?
shutterstock_Booze Keys and Gavel.jpg

If you have been convicted of a DWI in North Carolina, you may be required to get Interlock installed in your vehicle before you are allowed to drive again. Interlock is a device that requires the user to blow into a tube, and the car will not start unless the device registers no alcohol on the user’s breath. Interlock devices can be very temperamental, so it is important to understand the best practices to avoid false positives. 

If you have recently been arrested for a DWI in Wake County, you need to know your rights and how to best handle your case so you can still drive for work. In some cases, you will not need to have Interlock installed to have a limited driving privilege. As of now, Interlock is required if you are convicted with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .15 or greater, or have been convicted of a second DWI offense in North Carolina. The State of North Carolina has the burden to prove that you were driving while intoxicated beyond the legal limit. Having an experienced attorney on your side may help you fight against any charges and receive the best outcome for your case.

Email us at wiley@wileynickel.com for a free consultation about your DWI case. You may also contact The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel at 919-373-2288 to talk to an attorney about how we can help you with your DWI case in Wake County.

Wiley Nickel
Cary Officers Issuing More Speeding Tickets

With the school semester being back in full swing, there are a lot more drivers out on the road. Because of this, police are out in the community and more active in issuing citations. Earlier this month, Cary police officers issued more than 50 tickets in two days for speeding in school zones. 

Speeding tickets can have a substantial effect on car insurance, and can also add points onto your Driver's License. In North Carolina, you may be able to get a Prayer for Judgement Continued or an Improper Equipment Reduction. These two avenues can avoid any points on your license, or an increase in your insurance.

If you have questions regarding speeding tickets, or have recently received a speeding ticket that you wish to fight, call the Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, located in Cary, NC. You may call the offices at 919-373-2288. You may also email the attorneys directly at Kristi@wileynickel.com or wiley@wileynickel.com. 

Wiley Nickel
What Happens When I Get a DWI?
shutterstock_Booze Keys and Gavel.jpg

A DWI has many consequences including the immediate suspension of your drivers license for 30 days following the date of offense. However, after 10 days an attorney may help you get a pre-trial limited driving privilege to get you back on the road for work and for household needs. 

An attorney will help you analyze your case and make the decision of plea versus trialWhile a plea is very quick and avoids the necessity of having a full trial, the plea will show up on your permanent record. A DWI conviction is part of your permanent record and may no longer be expunged under North Carolina law. There are different ways of approaching a particular case, and a lawyer can help you make the best decision based on your circumstances. 

To be convicted of Driving While Impaired, the prosecution must prove every element of their case. If they fail to prove one element, the entire charge will fail. You are always innocent until proven guilty, meaning the prosecution bears the burden of proof. 

The attorneys at The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel have experience representing clients with DWI charges, and will work diligently to get the best possible outcome for you. If you have any questions about DWI charges, call the Law Offices of Wiley Nickel for a free consultation at 919-373-2288. You can also email Kristi Haddock at Kristi@wileynickel.com or Wiley Nickel at wiley@wileynickel.com.

Wiley Nickel
What Kind of Traffic Violations Do The Law Offices Of Wiley Nickel Handle?


The most common traffic violations our firm handles are speeding tickets.  Our clients sometimes worry that a speeding ticket on their driving record will negatively affect them on their criminal record. This is not true. In North Carolina you are unable to expunge tickets from your driving record, however, a simple ticket under 20mph over the speed limit is not something to be afraid to have on your record. There are a few ways that an attorney can resolve your ticket to keep your ticket from affecting you. Our clients are almost always most interested in keeping points off of their license and insurance policy and our office can explain and offer the best outcomes for your unique situation.

As far as speeding is concerned, any driving that is performed above the posted speed limit can result in a speeding ticket being issued. Most of these tickets are infractions.  However, it is a Class 3 Misdemeanor to operate a motor vehicle either greater than 15 above the speed limit or greater than 80 miles per hour. You need an attorney to help you through this process and keep points off your insurance and/or your driver’s license.

A conviction for a speeding ticket can affect both your insurance and your license. If you want to obtain the best result possible then give us a call today. We practice in Wake County, where in the last 6 months it is possible to have certain moving violations reduced to the non-moving violation of “improper equipment.” Every situation is unique, in order for us to give you personalized information on your specific case, please call The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel at (919) 373-2288 for a free consultation.

Wiley Nickel
What to Do If You Have Been Arrested For Possessing a Controlled Substance in Wake County

The North Carolina Controlled Substances Act dictates which drugs are considered controlled substances in North Carolina. Under this list, any substance that has “a high potential for abuse, no currently accepted medical use in the United States, or a lack of accepted safety for use in treatment under medical supervision” is included. This means that possessing recreational drugs and prescription drugs used for non-medical purposes punishable in North Carolina.

This list includes marijuana, codeine, heroin, and oxycodone. Under NCGS 90-96, it is prohibited to possess, manufacture, create, sell, or deliver any controlled substance. If you have been charged with possessing a controlled substance in Wake County, contact The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel at (919) 373-2288 for a free consultation.

If this is your first offense, you may be eligible for the 90-96 program, which allows you to have the charged dismissed after completing court-mandated classes. You may also be eligible to have the charges expunged after dismissal.

If this is not your first offense, contact Attorney Wiley Nickel or Attorney Kristi Haddock to discuss what your options are in Wake County at wiley@wileynickel.com or kristi@wileynickel.com. 

Wiley Nickel
Can I Be Charged With a DWI If I Haven’t Been Drinking?

Alcohol does not necessarily need to be involved to be charged and convicted with a DWI in North Carolina. Based on NCGS 20-138.1, “a person commits the offense of impaired driving if he drives any vehicle upon any highway, any street, or any public vehicular area within this State . . . while under the influence of an impairing substance.”

An impairing substance can be alcohol or a controlled substances, including illegal and legal drugs. Essentially, any drug that impairs one’s ability to drive can be considered an impairing substance.

These substances may not necessarily register on a breathalyzer, but North Carolina officers can still arrest you if they suspect that you are under the influence of an impairing substance. Instead of requiring a breath sample, the officer may request a blood sample. If you refuse to give one, the officer may apply for a warrant to take blood. In some situations, blood may even be taken without a warrant if the officer can prove exigent circumstances existed.

If you have been charged with a DWI in Wake County, contact The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel in Cary, NC, for a free consultation. Our office is conveniently located off of the Harrison Ave. exit of I-40 on Weston Parkway. We serve all areas of Wake County, including Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and Wake Forest. Call us at (919) 373-2288 for more information about how we can help you with your DWI case. 

Wiley Nickel
Old Traffic Tickets Can Stop You from Getting a Concealed Handgun Permit in Wake County

Old traffic tickets can prohibit you from getting a Wake County concealed handgun permit.  If you have an unpaid traffic citation or did not show up to court for an old speeding ticket your application will not be approved until it is resolved.  If you have an old criminal case or an unserved warrant that can also block you from getting a permit.  Many people might not realize that they have an unpaid ticket or had missed court for something as minor as an expired registration or bad tags ticket in Wake County, North Carolina.

If you received an email from Permitium, LLC it’s likely a legitimate email and there is something that needs to be resolved before your handgun application can proceed in Wake County.  Until the issue is resolved your application will not move forward.  These letters and emails are sent by the Wake County Sheriff’s Office, Records and Permits Division as part of some sort of agreement with Permitium, LLC.

Call The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, PLLC to help you clean up your record and deal with old traffic or criminal cases so you can proceed with a concealed handgun permit application.    We handle old traffic and old criminal cases in the Raleigh, NC area. Our office is located in Cary, NC at 2401 Weston Parkway.  You can reach us at 919-373-2288 for a free consultation.

Wiley Nickel