Raleigh Criminal Defense Law Firm
Apex Criminal Defense Attorney


Criminal Law Blog


Apex Criminal Law Blog

Law Offices Of Wiley Nickel, PLLC


Can I Get Rid of A Court-Appointed Lawyer?

The short answer is yes. However, this can be very risky if you don’t hire a new lawyer first. Courts generally do not like for defendants to fire their attorneys during the course of trial, and may not allow a defendant to fire their attorneys.

The other option is to hire an attorney before you fire the court-appointed lawyer. At that point, the new lawyer can file a motion to substitute counsel. So long as everything is done properly, the court is much more likely to allow the change of counsel.

If you feel like you need a new attorney, you can call the Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, PLLC. You can either call the law office directly at 1 (919) 585-1486, or contact Kristi Nickel and Wiley Nickel, at kristi@wileynickel.com or wiley@wileynickel.com, respectively. 

Kristi Haddock